Friday, March 6, 2015

Congo Bars

I decided to make Congo Bars for my mom's book group tonight and thought I'd share the recipe (and some pictures) and review it.

The recipe is from sixsistersstuff.com (who got it from bakerella.com), but I made a few alterations.



Before
After
(They don't look so brown in real life)

 Ok. They're really good. I like how they have the taste of the chocolate, but not overwhelming like a brownie. They basically taste like a rich, warm, bigger, fluffier, chocolate chip cookie- aka delicious! (If I do say so myself.) You also get the chewiness and flavor of the coconut, which is really nice. The only thing that I would change is that they are a tad bit too sweet, so maybe less sugar next time. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Yum, yum, yum!

Congo Bars

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/02/congo-bars-recipe.html

2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. butter, softened
2 c. brown sugar**
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 package milk chocolate chips- I used dark, but just use what you like the taste of.
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)- I didn't use these because my sister is allergic
1 cup of coconut flakes (my addition)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine butter and sugar using a mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time to sugar mixture, mixing on low in between each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour and mix until combined. Stir in chips and then pecans.

Coat a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray and spread batter evenly into dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Make sure you don’t over bake.

** I used one cup of brown and one cup of normal sugar because I ran out of brown, which works- it just makes the bars a little more crispy.

If you make it, let me know! I'd love to hear how it turned out!

5 comments: